On October 28th, 2010, The Greater Brandon Arts Council is celebrating:
The 2010 7th Annual Brush Strokes Awards for Excellence in the Arts
“The only comprehensive awards representation of the arts throughout Tampa Bay”
The awards are free and open-to-the-public and will be held on:
October 28 at Center Place, 619 Vonderburg Drive, Brandon
(located adjacent to the Brandon Regional Library)
There will be a reception hosted by the GBAC from 6:30 to 7:15 PM.
The award ceremony will commence at 7:15 PM, culminating at 9:00 PM.
Click here to view Program
For the first five years, the awards were sponsored by Sunbelt Publishing and The Tampa Tribune. Last year sponsorship was relinquished to The Greater Brandon Arts Council. The GBAC Board of Directors voted to sponsor these awards recognizing the outstanding achievements of creative endeavors in continuum.
The awards cover Tampa Bay from Lakeland to St. Petersburg, Tarpon Springs, Dunedin and Clearwater.
The award categories are:
- Arts Educator of the Year
- Artist of the Year
- Arts Activist of the Year
- Artist with a Heart
- Creative Contribution Enriching the Community
- Exhibit of the Year
- Non-Profit Creative Benefit to the Community
- Arts Organization Executive of the Year
- The Lifetime Achievement Award
- Development of the Arts in the Community
- Greatest Corporate Contribution
- Performing Arts – Outstanding Contribution or Performance
- Visionary Award – Inspiration & Commitment to the Community
The previous award recipient returns the following year to present the award for the current year. The number of awards may vary but the awards usually consist of a list of 12 to 13 awards. GBAC members may submit nominations in any category by mail, through the GBAC Web site, and from the floor at open board of directors meetings. The nominating process begins in July and are closed August 31st. The nominations are then voted upon by a committee formed by the GBAC Board of Directors.